Mexican Style Shakshuka
A Note from Feedfeed
Morgan from @heymorgs created this recipe using Muir Glen's Crushed Fire-Roasted Organic Tomatoes. She found all the ingredients at her local Whole Foods in Portland, OR. Find your local Whole Foods here, and you can try this recipe too!
Prep time 10mins
Cook time 15mins
Serves or Makes: 3-4
- 1 (28 ounce) can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs
- 1/ 3 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 1/ 2 ripe avocado, diced
- 1/ 4 cup cilantro, rinsed and dried
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- Bread, sliced, for serving
Place medium sized skillet on stovetop over medium heat. Add tomatoes, olive oil, hot sauce and salt and stir until just mixed. Heat for 2 minutes. Gently crack 4 eggs into tomato sauce and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Check eggs occasionally for over-easy consistency and remove from heat when ready.
Once sauce has thickened and cooled (about 10 minutes), add queso fresco, avocado, lime zest and cilantro. Serve immediately with sliced bread.