- 4 raw mangoes
- 1 1/ 2 tablespoons jaggery powder/ palm sugar/ sugar
- 1 tablespoons panchphoran (an equal blend of black mustard, cumin, fennel, fenugreek and nigella seeds)
- 2 dry red chilies - whole
- 1/ 4 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoons mustard oil
- Salt as per taste
- 3/ 4 cups water
Wash, peel and roughly chop the mangoes.
Heat oil in a pot and add dry red chilies to it. Break the chilies in 2-4 pieces before adding to the oil.
Saute for a few seconds and then add the panch phoran (Indian five-spice blend). Saute for another 10-20 seconds or till the spices become fragrant.
Now add in the mangoes, salt, turmeric powder and water to the pot, mix well, cover and allow to cook for 12-15 minutes or till the mangoes turn soft.
Mash the mangoes with the backside of the ladle to form a rough paste. If required add some more water.
At this stage, add the jaggery powder or whichever sweetener you are using to the pot. Mix well and allow to cook for another minute. Switch off the gas and serve warm/ chilled.