- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or other chili powder
- Salt, To Taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon harissa, (optional), or red chili paste of choice
- 1 vegan bouillion cube
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can chickpeas, or 2 cups boiled chickpeas
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/ 2 lemon, juiced
- Pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- Cilantro, fresh chopped, for garnish
Heat oil in a large pot. Mix in the ground cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper and salt. Add the tomato paste, harissa (if using), bouillon cube and 2 tablespoons water. Mix and cook for 2 minutes.
Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent. Add the chickpeas and sweet potato; cook for about 1 minute, then add 4 1/4 cups water. Cover and cook until sweet potatoes are fork-tender.
Puree the soup with an immersion blender until creamy. Add more water if needed. Let boil for 1-2 more minutes then remove from heat.
Pour in lemon juice. Serve in bowls, garnished with pumpkin seeds, chopped cilantro, ground cumin and red pepper flakes.