- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/ 2 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/ 2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoons dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- Salt, to taste
- 3 cups black beans, canned boiled or frozen
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 4 1/ 2 cups water
- 1/ 2 lime, juiced
- Salsa, for serving
- Tortilla chips, for serving
Heat oil in a pot. Add chopped onions and sauté until they become translucent. Add the garlic and bay leaf, cooking until fragrant.
Add the celery, sauté for about a minute, then add the bell peppers. Sauté for 2-3 minutes and then add bouillon, thyme, chili flakes and salt. Sauté for a few seconds.
Add the black beans, mix and cook for about 2 minutes. Take around 3 ladles of beans, put in the grinder with 2 tablespoons of water and make a smooth paste. Add this paste and water back to the pot.
Let the soup simmer for another 10-12 minutes. Switch off the gas.
Squeeze in fresh lime juice. Garnish with some salsa and torilla chips. Enjoy!