- 1 cups chana dal
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1/ 2 teaspoons ginger, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1/ 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/ 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 2 1/ 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoons mustard oil/ any oil of your choice
- Salt as per taste
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
Wash the lentil nicely. Put the lentil, water, salt, and turmeric powder in the pressure cooker and cook till three whistles.
In a small pan, heat oil. Add all the dry spices and saute for a few seconds till they become fragrant and stop spluttering.
Add chopped onions and fry till they become golden brown
Next, add the tomato, green chilies, and ginger. Cook for around 5-6 minutes or till the tomatoes are nicely cooked.
Pour this tomato mixture over the cooked dal and mix.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with roti or rice.