Everyone needs a go-to veggie burger recipe. Prepare these on the stovetop or outdoor grill. We recommend grilling these burgers directly on a piece of aluminum foil placed on the grill grates. This extra insurance is helpful for more delicate burgers.
This Recipe is Featured in our Weekly Meal Planner Email Newsletter. Sign up for it here to have 6 great dinner recipes (along with a full shopping list) delivered to your inbox every weekend.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/ 2 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/ 2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 3/ 4 cups cooked black beans (from one 14.5 oz can)
- 1/ 4 cup flax meal (or flour of choice)
- 1 teaspoon agar agar (optional)
- To Serve: Buns, Lettuce, Sliced Tomato
- 1/ 2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoon oil of choice (coconut or olive oil works well)
Sauté onions over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. When starting to brown, add red and green peppers. Sauté until peppers are cooked through, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
Crush the beans with a wooden spoon. Add flax meal and agar agar (if using) until mixture is dough-like. Add pepper mixture and cilantro. Form patties with your hands. Leave in fridge for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
In a large saucepan over high heat, add oil. Sear patties until golden brown on outside and warm all the way through, about 5 minutes per side.
Serve with buns, lettuce and sliced tomatoes.