This recipe was featured in our Weekly Meal Plan Newsletter - Looking for dinner ideas? Sign up here!
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/ 2 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/ 2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 3/ 4 cups cooked black beans (from one 14.5 oz can)
- 1/ 4 cup flax meal (or flour of choice)
- 1 teaspoon agar agar (optional)
- To Serve: Buns, Lettuce, Sliced Tomato
- 1/ 2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoon oil of choice (coconut or olive oil works well)
Sauté onions over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. When starting to brown, add red and green peppers. Sauté until peppers are cooked through, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
Crush the beans with a wooden spoon. Add flax meal and agar agar (if using) until mixture is dough-like. Add pepper mixture and cilantro. Form patties with your hands. Leave in fridge for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
In a large saucepan over high heat, add oil. Sear patties until golden brown on outside and warm all the way through, about 5 minutes per side.
Serve with buns, lettuce and sliced tomatoes.