- 1/ 3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/ 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/ 4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder, or instant coffee powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/ 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/ 4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/ 4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/ 4 teaspoon coarse Kosher salt
- 1/ 4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/ 3 canned pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons full-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 375. Spray a standard-sized doughnut pan with non-stick spray. Note that the use of half whole wheat flour and half white flour gives these doughnuts a slightly heartier texture. You can use only all-purpose white flour instead, if you like.
In a bowl, combine the flours, sugar, espresso powder, spices, salt and baking soda. Add the pumpkin, sour cream, egg and vanilla and mix until well combined. Batter will be thick.
Scrape into a piping bag or plastic baggie; snip off one inch from the corner and pipe the batter into the doughnut pan. Bake for 8 - 8 1/2 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan for one minute, then turn out on to a wire rack.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Melt the butter; in a separate small bowl combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Brush the hot doughnuts with the butter, then coat in the sugar/cinnamon mixture. Serve warm.