Excerpted from Vedge Cookbook© 2018 Reproduced by permission of The Experiment. All rights reserved. Purchase your copy here.
For the Carrots
- 2 pounds Jumbo carrots, washed well
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Blackening Spice (or Cajun seasoning)
For the Lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups Dried Black or Green Lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons blackening spice (or Cajun seasoning)
For the Green Harissa
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 jalapeño peppers, stems and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Toss the carrots on a sheet pan with the olive oil and blackening spice. Roast until they just start to become tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, to make the lentils, heat the oil in a medium stockpot over high heat until it ripples. Add the minced onions and garlic and cook, stirring until brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the stock, lentils and blackening spice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the lentils are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine all of the harissa ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
To serve, spoon the lentils onto a serving dish, place the roasted carrots on top of the lentils, and cover the carrots with the harissa.