Excerpted from Vedge Cookbook© 2018 Reproduced by permission of The Experiment. All rights reserved. Purchase your copy here.
This recipe is featured in our Weekly Meal Planner Email Newsletter. Sign up for it here to have 6 great dinner recipes (along with a full shopping list) delivered to your inbox every Sunday!
For the Carrots
- 2 pounds Jumbo carrots, washed well
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Blackening Spice (or Cajun seasoning)
For the Lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/ 2 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups Dried Black or Green Lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons blackening spice (or Cajun seasoning)
For the Green Harissa
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 jalapeño peppers, stems and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Toss the carrots on a sheet pan with the olive oil and blackening spice. Roast until they just start to become tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, to make the lentils, heat the oil in a medium stockpot over high heat until it ripples. Add the minced onions and garlic and cook, stirring until brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the stock, lentils and blackening spice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the lentils are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine all of the harissa ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
To serve, spoon the lentils onto a serving dish, place the roasted carrots on top of the lentils, and cover the carrots with the harissa.