- 2 tablepoons olive oil
- 5 Italian sausages, hot or mild
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 (10 ounce can) Tomato Love Diced Tomatoes 2x More Chiles
- 5 long hotdog buns
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- grated parmigiano reggiano cheese, optional
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
Add sausages and sear on all sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Add onions to the pan and stir, scraping up any brown bits. Cook until onions have started to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add tomato paste and stir to coat the onions. Add the Tomato Love Tomatoes and 2x More Chiles and bring to a boil. Return sausages to the skillet, cover, and lower the heat to medium-low. Simmer sauce until sausage is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, warm buns in the oven.
Place sausages in warmed buns and spoon spicy tomato sauce and onions overtop.
Serve with grated cheese, if desired. Enjoy!