Strawberry Balsamic Black Pepper Pie
#Coachella/@SaltAndStraw-inspired strawberry balsamic black pepper pie
2 1/2 cup flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup + 1/4 cup ice water
1/4 cup + 3 tbsp sugar, divided
2 lbs (5 cups) strawberries, quartered
1 small apple (e.g. Golden Delicious), shredded (like cheese)
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar Bitters
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp tapioca starch
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg, whisked + 1 tsp water
1. Combine flour, sugar, and salt
2. Cut cubed butter and shortening into dry ingredients
3. Add ½ cup water, stir in slowly, then add remaining ¼ cup water until dough forms
4. Divide dough into two halves and wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least one hour
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Combine 3 tbsp sugar with strawberries; stir. Let sit for an hour and drain. Add shredded apple to strawberries. Add balsamic vinegar and a few dashes of bitters.
3. In separate bowl, combine and mix remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, brown sugar, tapioca starch, cornstarch, black pepper, and salt. Fold the sugar mixture into the strawberries.
4. Pour filling into pie shell and add pie top (lattice or full top). Chill the pie in refrigerator for half an hour to set pastry.
5. Brush pastry with egg wash and sprinkle some sugar over crust. Place pie on baking sheet and on lowest rack of the oven.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, then lower temperature to 375 degrees and move the pie to the center oven rack. Bake for another 35-40 minutes or until the pie is golden brown.