- 3 pounds Honeycrisp apples
- 1/ 2 granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/ 4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/ 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- zest from one lemon
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- heavy cream or beaten egg, for brushing
- turbinado sugar, for sprinkling (optional)Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- 2 uncooked pastry crusts*
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry (no need to pre-bake). Pour in the apples and cover with a second layer of pastry. Crimp the edges and brush with cream or egg, then sprinkle a little turbinado sugar for extra sweetness and crunch.
Place pie on the foil-lined baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 55-60 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the filling is thick and bubbly. Let cool at for at least 15-20 minutes to set; it serves up best at room temperature.
*use the crust recipe of your choice (check out Butter & Air's World's Best Pie Crust!), or a prepared crust.