For the Fruit Layer
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
For the Cake
- 2 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 1/2 tablespoons almond flour
- 21/2 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 21/2 tablespoons oat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Make the fruit layer: Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a 6 inch springform pan with parchment paper. Melt coconut oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add rhubarb and sprinkle with sugar. Mix well, reduce the heat and leave for 2-3 minutes to simmer. Very carefully place pieces of cooked rhubarb and strawberries on the bottom of the baking pan and sprinkle with almond flour.
Make the cake: Whisk the yolks with coconut sugar until foamy. Add the coconut oil and whisk again. Add the flours, baking powder and baking soda and mix until well combined. In a clean mixing bowl, whisk egg whites until peaks form. Fold into batter very delicately with a wooden spoon. Place the dough over the fruits and smooth the top.
Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until cake is lightly brown on top and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing. Enjoy!