Tom Kha Gai (Chicken Soup With Galangal)
More from @
Prep time 15mins
Cook time 30mins
Serves or Makes: 4
- 8 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 2 pounds chicken wings, wingettes and drumettes separated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 3 stalks lemongrass, peeled and pounded with the back of a knife, cut into 2” pieces
- 10 slices galangal
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, roughly torn
- 5 Thai chilies, sliced into ½” pieces (add more or less depending on your spice level)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar, melted
- 3 ounces oyster mushrooms, torn into pieces
- 2 1/ 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Handful cilantro, chopped
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice
Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large pot and add chicken wings. Add salt and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes. Skim off any fat that accumulates on top of the broth.
Add coconut milk, lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, Thai chilies, 1 tablespoon fish sauce, and palm sugar and stir to combine. Return to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 3-5 minutes.
Add mushrooms and cook for 1-2 minutes until cooked through.
Taste and season with more fish sauce as needed. Turn off heat and add lime juice.
Serve broth over rice, then top with cilantro. Squeeze more lime juice on top, if desired.