- 1 loaf soft French bread
- 3/ 4 cup good marinara sauce or pizza sauce
- 1 1/ 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/ 4 cup grated Parmesan
- pepperoni, sausage, ham or thin slices bacon
- 2 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Salt + black pepper
- ketchup, aioli, chopped chives for serving
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet, add mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes until brown. Add garlic and shallot, cook for 1 minute. Stir in balsamic vinegar, marjoram and chili flakes, season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute more. Set aside.
Cut the bread in 3 equal pieces with a serrated knife, then cut each half lengthwise so you have 6 half pieces. Or cut the bread in half, so you have 4 half pieces.
Place the bread cut-side up on a rimmed baking sheet and spread the pizza sauce evenly onto the bread. Top with sautéed mushrooms, sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Top with pepperoni and bacon, if using. Bake until the cheese is melted, about 10-12 minutes.
Serve immediately with chopped chives, ketchup and aioli. Delicious with a side salad. Enjoy!