- 1 pound spaghetti, or other pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes - more if you want it more spicy
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/ 2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine (can be substituted by balsamic or red wine vinegar)
- 2 (28oz) cans of chopped tomatoes
- 1/ 2 cup water, more if need
- flaky sea salt, to taste
- cracked black pepper
- fresh basil, to serve
Place a large pot of water to boil and cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the dried herbs, chilli flakes, garlic and onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant. Add the red wine to the pan and cook it off until you can’t smell the alcohol any more, then add the tomatoes. Add the water and cook, with lid half way on, for 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add a bit more water if the sauce is too dry. Mix the pasta through the sauce and serve immediately with fresh basil. Enjoy!