- 4 1/ 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- 1/ 4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup plus 2 1/2 tablespoons castor sugar
- 1 tablespoon liquid glucose
- 3/ 4 cup minus 1 teaspoon water, divided
- 4 1/ 2 sheets gelatine, or 9 teaspoons powdered gelatine
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2/ 3 cup chopped cherries
- 1 cup toasted flaked almonds
Line an 8x8-inch baking tin with parchment paper. Sift the confectioner's sugar and cornstarch together and set aside.
Place the castor sugar, liquid glucose, and 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon water into a heavy-bottomed saucepan. stir to combine over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, do not stir. Let mixture reach 260ºF, tilting the pan around so the mixture heats evenly.
Soak the gelatine sheets in 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons water. In the bowl of stand mixer, whip the egg white on high until stiff peaks form. Once sugar mixture reaches 260ºF, stir in the gelatine.
Pour the hot sugar syrup into the egg white, running it down the side of the bowl while whipping, and whip on high for 5-10 minutes, until marshmallow thickens and bowl is only warm to the touch. Pour in vanilla and continue to mix.
Spoon half the marshmallow mixture into the prepared pan. Spread it smooth with an offset spatula, then sprinkle with cherries. Smooth remaining marshmallow on top. Sprinkle with toasted almonds. Let set for 2 hours.
Dust with confectioner's sugar and cornstarch mixture. Remove from pan to cut.