- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, chopped into small cubes
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce puree (passata)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (14-ounce) can pre-cooked lentils
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 (14-ounce) box brown rice penne or spaghetti
- salt and pepper, as needed
In a large, non-stick pan heat the olive oil and then add the carrots, onion and garlic. Saute until lightly golden brown, 5-6 minutes. Next add the red wine vinegar and brown sugar.
Add the chopped cherry tomatoes, passata, canned tomatoes, tomato paste and the lentils. Reduce the heat to a low simmer.
Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a small pot and add the stock cube to the lentils and tomatoes. Add the water to the lentil mixture. Add the wine or sherry and the sun-dried tomatoes. Season to taste then leave to simmer for around 15-20 minutes on a medium heat.
While the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta per packet instructions. Then pour the lentil bolognese on top of the cooked pasta. Add parmesan or any herbs such as oregano, mint and basil, pepper and Enjoy!