- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic Italian Seasoning
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed, peeled plum tomatoes in juice,
- 1/ 2 cup dry red wine
- 1 sprig basil, plus more for serving
- 1/ 2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 12 ounces dried pappardelle
- Parsley, for topping
- Parmesan, for topping
Heat oil over medium in a large sauté pan. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, tomato paste, anchovy paste, italian seasoning, and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in tomatoes, wine, and basil sprig, bring sauce to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a pot of boiling salted water according to package directions; drain.
Stir olives and capers into sauce and cook to heat through; discard basil sprig. Serve puttanesca sauce over pasta and top with fresh basil, parsley and parmesan, if desired.