- 5 green bell peppers
- 1/ 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/ 4 cup beef broth
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 pound deli-style shaved roast beef, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 6 slices of American cheese, divided
- 1/ 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/ 2 cups U.S.-grown brown rice, cooked
- kosher salt, to taste
- 7 slices of provolone cheese, divided
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Gently slice the tops off of each bell pepper, and remove the membrane and seeds. Place peppers into an oven-safe baking dish or sheet pan. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes before stuffing.
While peppers are roasting, prepare the filling. Add onions, garlic, and beef broth to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Stir in mushrooms, chopped roast beef, Worcestershire sauce, cream cheese, 4 American cheese slices, and black pepper. Stir until cheese is melted and combined. Stir in cooked U.S.-grown brown rice. Add additional broth if the mixture seems dry. Taste for seasoning, and adjust salt and pepper if desired.
Stuff a piece of provolone cheese into the bottom of each green pepper. Chop the remaining 2 slices of American cheese and the remaining 2 slices of Provolone cheese into small squares, and set aside. Fill each pepper with rice and beef mixture. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and top each pepper with chopped American and Provolone cheeses. Return to oven for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.