- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can Tuttorosso Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can Tuttorosso Diced Tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons harissa
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 3 (15 ounce) cans chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook, breaking apart until no more pink remains. With a slotted spoon, lift the beef out and remove to a bowl. To the drippings, add onions, garlic, ginger, carrots, peppers and jalapeños and cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
Add the beef back to the pot with the tomatoes, broth, harissa, and all seasonings.
Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
Add the chick peas, check for seasoning and cover again. Simmer for 30 minutes longer.
When done, remove from heat and add cilantro and mint.