When summer gives you tomatoes, it would be a sin not to eat them 24/7. I eat them all ways; sautéed, grilled, stuffed, sliced with salt and pepper, or just natural...like a sweet juicy peach! This salad was mostly inspired by the crown jewels of summer, tomatoes, then morphed into this grilled salad party board that you ALL need to try. If not for the multicolored heirloom tomatoes and peppers, charred purple radicchio, or golden pan fried plantains, your summer would be a total loss if you didn’t try the best flavor combination EVER; plantains and feta! Honestly they are a match made in heaven!
The succulent skinless chicken thighs (in Japan, we call them ‘momo’) are so easy to cook with and feed the hungry hungry meat eaters at your end of summer party. Just put them in a bowl or something so the vegetarians and the pescatarians don’t get grossed out - talking to you, Mum! Then we’ve got the dressing...herby, lemony, orangey, which compliments all the different veggies that encompass this board so well, it’s just a pretty giant bow to tie it all together!
For the Dressing
- 1/ 4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 1/ 2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 medium cloves garlic, grated
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon hot honey
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1/ 2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Salad
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large plantains, peeled and sliced on a bias
- Olive oil, as needed
- 3 heads radicchio, quartered
- 1 small red onion, sliced into half moons (about 1 cup)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1 pound heirloom tomatoes, cored and quartered
To Make the Dressing
Heat the olive oil, coriander seeds and black pepper in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat until fragrant. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl.
While the oil is still hot, add grated garlic so it slightly cooks in the oil. Once the oil has cooled to room temperature, add the remaining ingredients and mix until everything has completely emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
To Make the Salad
Pat chicken thighs dry and season to taste with salt. Set aside for 10 minutes.
Line a sheet pan with paper towels and place a cooling rack on top. Set aside. In a large sauté pan, heat vegetable oil and place over high heat. Pan-fry plantains until both sides are golden brown, about 1 minute per side. As the plantains brown, place them on prepared rack, salt to taste and set aside. Repeat until all plantains have been fried.
Lightly rub olive oil on the cut sides of the radicchio. Heat a grill pan over high heat, and grill radicchio until leaves have softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
On the same grill pan, grill chicken thighs for about 5-7 minutes on each side, or until each piece reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF.
To Prepare the Board
Place chicken, radicchio, plantains, red onion, bell peppers, feta and tomatoes on a large serving board, alternating in color for maximum presentation. Add dressing on top or serve alongside in a small bowl.