- 1 pound pasta of choice ( we used a rustic linguine)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/2 tablespoon Simply Organic Italian Seasoning
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 oil-packed anchovy fillets (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Dried Oregano
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 (5 ounce) jars oil-packed tuna, drained and broken up with a fork
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated Pecorino Romano, for serving
- optional garnish: green olives, baby arugula, peppadew peppers
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling add the pasta and cook to al dente. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add panko and Italian seasoning. Cook until the panko turns golden brown. Place panko in a small bowl and set aside.
Wipe out skillet and add remaining olive oil. Heat to a shimmer over medium heat. Add garlic, anchovies (if using), red pepper flakes and oregano and cook until anchovies start to melt and the garlic is fragrant (about 1 minute).
Lower the heat and add the capers, sun-dried tomatoes and white wine. Cook until reduced by half, then add cooked pasta and stir to combine. Off the heat, add the tuna, lemon juice and zest and a bit of the reserved pasta water (just enough to form a sauce). Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed with salt and pepper.
Serve the pasta topped with toasted panko, chopped parsley and freshly grated Pecorino Romano.