Chef Danielle Leoni joined us @ Feedfeed Brooklyn to show us how to make her famous Pepper Shrimp in advance of her sustainable seafood dinner at the James Beard House!
- 6 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/ 3 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 habanero, including seeds, minced
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- 1/ 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/ 4 teaspoons ground celery seed
- 1 1/ 4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/ 2 tablespoons finely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cayenne oil
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails on
- 3/ 4 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/ 2 cup lime juice
- 1 1/ 2 tablespoons water
- 2 limes, zested
- Bok choy or other greens, cut into a chiffonade and fried for garnish
In a small bowl, combine the garlic, onion, thyme and habanero. In another small bowl, make the seasoning mix by combining the cayenne, oregano, celery seed, coriander, cumin, mustard seed, allspice, salt and pepper. Mix well.
In a large skillet, heat the cayenne oil. When it starts to shimmer, add the garlic and onion mixture. Sauté until fragrant. Add the seasoning mix and stir for 1 minute. Add the shrimp to the pan and cook until they start to lose their translucence. Add the vinegar, lime juice and water and cook until pink.
Garnish with lime zest and fried bok choy and serve immediately.