Watch our test kitchen manager Rachel make @feedtheswimmers' Black Japonica Rice Salad with Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette, in partnership with ThinkRice. It's got roasted vegetables, fried haloumi, and a killer dressing that is so easy to put together!
Did you know that nearly 85% of the rice we eat in the USA is grown by American farmers? Each year, 18 billion pounds of rice are grown and harvested by local farmers in Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri and Texas. The U.S. rice industry is unique in its ability to produce all types of rice—long, medium and short grain, as well as aromatic and specialty varieties. Black japonica rice is used in this recipe, which is an aromatic, 100% whole grain rice with a dark black bran that is grown in California's Sacramento Valley!
- 1 cup US Grown black Japonica rice
- 1 cup roasted zucchini, seeded, cut lengthwise into four strips, then crosswise in 1-inch slices
- 1 cup 1/2 - inch cubed honey nut squash, or similar winter squash
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeds removed and sliced
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 4 ounces Halloumi, pan seared until golden on each side
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons preserved lemon paste (or 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice)
- Handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Flaky sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 425°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Prepare rice per package or rice cooker instructions. (I like to add a generous pinch of salt and a teaspoon of olive oil to the cooking water.)
Separately, toss each vegetable in olive oil (about a 1/4 cup total) and arrange on baking sheet in rows. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook in 20 increments, removing each vegetable as it’s cooked to your liking.
Whisk remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil with 2 teaspoons preserved lemon paste, chopped parsley, flaky sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Adjust acid to suit your taste.
When all ingredients have come to room temp or are still slightly warm, toss together and add vinaigrette. Serve and enjoy!