Want to start making more fresh fish at home in 2019? This recipe is for you! We seasoned wild salmon with a mix of Simply Organic Ginger, Five Spice and Red Pepper Flakes and seared it over high heat before topping it with a soy, ginger and honey glaze. Serve the fish over an easy Simply Organic Black Sesame flecked rice and round it all out with some bittersweet bok choy!
- 1 tablespoon Simply Organic Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Five Spice Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, To Taste
- 4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets, center cut
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, (or tamari if you are gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 heads baby bok choy, halved, washed and dried
- 1/2 tablespoon raw cane sugar
- 1 avocado, shaved or sliced
- Black Sesame Rice, for serving (recipe below)
Combine ½ tablespoon of the ground ginger with five spice, red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt and pepper. Let salmon sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile bring the soy sauce and remaining ginger to a simmer in a small saucepan. Let cook at a rapid simmer for about 30 seconds then remove from heat, stir in honey and set aside.
Once the salmon has sat for 10 minutes, pat the fillets dry and season on both sides with spice mixture.
In a coated cast iron skillet, or heavy bottomed frying pan, add the oil and heat over medium high heat until shimmering. Add salmon (skin side up) and cook for about 4 minutes, or until salmon is golden brown and can easily move around the pan. Flip salmon and cook for another 3 minutes. Place cooked salmon on a large plate or platter and divide the glaze among the four filets. Tent loosely with foil while you cook the bok choy.
Sprinkle the bok choy with sugar and heat the sesame oil in the same skillet. Add half of the bok choy cut side down to the skillet and cook undisturbed for about 1 minute. Add 3 tablespoons of water and cover and cook until bok choy is bright green, about 3 minutes. Remove cooked bok choy choy from skillet and repeat with remaining vegetables.
To serve, fill 4 bowls with sesame rice and top with cooked salmon, bok choy and avocado.
Black Sesame Rice
- 1 cup white jasmine rice, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Simply Organic Black Sesame Seeds
- 1 tablespoon sliced scallions
Black Sesame Rice
Add rice, water and salt to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until all of the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let set for 5 minutes.
Fluff rice with a fork, then stir in sesame oil, sesame seeds and scallions.