For more delicious recipes by Hadassa Lipskar of @bklyn_eats, be sure to check out her instagram feed here
Garlicky Spinach Khachapuri
Khachapuri is a Georgian cheesy flatbread. It’s delicious and super easy to make. It doesn’t surprise me that most Georgians enjoy this delectable cheesy flatbread more than pizza!
For the Dough:
2 and ¼ cup of Pastry Flour
1 tbsp Sugar
½ tsp Sea Salt
1.5 tsp Active Dry Yeast
5 tbsp Butter – Softened
½ cup Luke Warm Milk
¼ cup Luke Warm Water
For the Filling:
¾ cup Mozzarella Cheese
¾ cup Goat Cheese
¾ cup Feta Cheese
3 Eggs + 1 for egg wash
4 Cups Baby Spinach
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
5 Garlic Cloves, minced
Chopped Chives (optional)
1. To prepare the dough, mix all of the dry ingredients together. Once combined, mix the butter into your dry ingredients until you’ve reached a crumbly texture. Proceed by mixing in the milk and water. Knead into a ball. Grease a bowl lightly with Olive Oil, place dough in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow dough to rise for 1.5-2 hours.
2. Ten minutes before your dough has finished rising, heat a skillet with the EVOO. Add the minced garlic cloves and spinach and sauté until wilted. Set aside in small bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the three cheeses together.
4. Once dough has finished rising, punch down and roll out into an oval shape.
5. Preheat oven to 425F.
6. Lie the garlicky spinach in a thin layer, followed by the 3-cheese mixture, leaving about an inch around the perimeter of the dough untouched. With your two index fingers, roll the opposite sides of the dough towards the center and pinch the corners tightly.
7. Brush dough with the egg wash.
8. Place dough on a parchment lined baking sheet in preheated oven for 12- 15 minutes.
9. Remove from oven. With the back of a spoon, create three “wells” in the cheese. Place one egg into each “well.”
10. Place back into the oven for 5-6 minutes, or until the whites have set – but yolk is still runny.
11. Remove from oven, garnish with chives (optional) and enjoy! (Serve Immediately).