- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/ 2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/ 2 teaspoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley, more for serving
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined, with tails left intact
- vegetable oil, for frying
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Comeback sauce, see below
Whisk the flour, cornstarch, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a pie plate. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until frothy, then whisk in the evaporated milk, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Gently pound the shrimp with a rolling pin until cracked and flattened.
Fill a large cast-iron skillet with oil to a depth of 1/4 inch. Heat over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Dip a shrimp into the egg mixture, then dredge in the flour mixture, shake off excess, and slip into the hot oil. Repeat with enough shrimp to fill the skilled without crowding it. Fry, flipping once, until golden, about 1 minute per side. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining shrimp.
Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with parsley. Serve hot with lemon wedges for squeezing and Comeback sauce (see below) for dipping.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/ 4 cup chili sauce
- 1/ 4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 clove garlic, grated on a microplane
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard
- 1/ 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Mix all the ingredients together until well blended. Use immediately or refrigerate in jars for up to 1 week.
We made Cracked Shrimp and Comeback Sauce with Carla Hall from her new cookbook "Carla Hall's Soul Food" LIVE at the FeedFeed Brooklyn!