For the Turmeric Tahini Date Caramel:
- 8 dates, pitted, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes
- 1/ 3 cup canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons Single Origin by Simply Organic Guatemalan Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/ 4 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch of Single Origin by Simply Organic Sri Lankan Black Pepper
For the Brownie Batter:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/ 4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1/ 2 cup almond flour
- 1/ 4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 350˚F and line an 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
Make the date ‘caramel’. Add all ingredients for the date 'caramel' to a food processor and process for 1-2 minutes. Once the dates have begun to break down into small pieces, turn the processor on and stream in ⅓ cup warm water. Process until very smooth. Set aside.
Make the brownies. Add butter and chocolate chips to a large heat safe bowl and place over a simmering pan of water (make sure the water is not touching the bottom of the bowl) and stir until smooth and completely melted. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Add sugar, eggs and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
Add almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt and whisk until well combined.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, and dollop about ½ cup of the prepared date caramel (reserve excess for another use) in teaspoon-sized spoonfuls all over the surface of the batter. Using a skewer or butter knife, swirl the batter with the date ‘caramel’ using an up and down motion until your desired look is achieved.
Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the top is set and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly before cutting into 9 squares and serving.