- Baking spray with flour, as needed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 1/ 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 3/ 4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup corn kernels, from about 1 large ear fresh corn or frozen and thawed
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced chives or scallions
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced
Preheat oven to 375˚F. Liberally grease the Nordic Ware Haunted Skull Cakelet Pan with baking spray with flour. Set aside.
Melt butter and honey in a medium pan and stir until well combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
Whisk sour cream, buttermilk, egg, and honey-butter mixture in a medium bowl until well combined.
Stir cornmeal, kosher salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Add sour cream mixture and stir until no dry patches remain, then stir in corn kernels, cheddar cheese, chives or scallions and jalapeño. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Set aside to cool completely in the pan for about 20 minutes. Unmold the skulls and serve.