- 1 head of garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 red onion, medium dice
- 2 tablespoons New York Shuk Signature Harissa
- 2 teaspoons New York Shuk Shawarma Spice
- 1 (15 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Coarsely cracked black pepper, to taste
- Tender herbs, for garnishing and serving
- chili oil, for garnishing and serving
- Toasted seeds and nuts, like pine nuts or sesame seeds
Preheat the oven to 425˚F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Slice the top off each garlic head and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap in foil and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 40-50 minutes or until very soft and caramelized.
Place the carrots and red onion in a large bowl. Season with harissa, shawarma spice, salt, pepper and olive oil. Place on the prepared baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes or until carrots are caramelized and tender. Allow vegetables to cool slightly before adding to a blender.
Squeeze the garlic cloves into a blender. Add roasted carrots, coconut milk and 1.5 quarts of vegetable stock. Blend until smooth and season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
Add soup to a medium sized pot and adjust consistency to your liking with the remaining vegetable stock. Bring to a rapid simmer and season to taste. Serve immediately and garnish bowls with fresh herbs, toasted seeds or nuts and chili oil, if desired.