With roots in Mexico City, tortilla soup relies on, you guessed it, corn tortillas for their thickening power and rich corn flavor. This version relies on shredded rotisserie chicken, broth and Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies from our friends at Tomato Love! We love setting out toppings for everyone to customize their bowls!
- 12 small corn tortillas
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for topping
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken stock, plus more if needed to achieve desired consistency
- 1 (10 ounce) can Tomato Love Original Diced Tomatoes + Green Chilies
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- Diced avocado
- Lime wedges
- Chopped red onion
- Crumbled queso fresco
- Sour cream, or crema
Heat oven to 375 F. Slice tortillas into 1-inch strips. Chop half the strips into 1-inch squares, set aside for soup. Toss strips with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and arrange on a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt, set aside. These will be your crunchy garnish.
In a large pot, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-low heat. Add tortilla squares and cook for about 1 minute. Add chili powder, cumin, garlic, onions and cilantro. Cook for about 10 minutes until onions are soft, stirring frequently.
Add stock and tomatoes with chilies. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add chicken, cook for about 5 minutes until warmed through. Add more stock, if desired, if mixture is too thick.
Serve soup in bowls garnished with crispy tortilla strips, extra cilantro, avocado, lime juice, red onion, queso fresco and sour cream, if desired.