- 1/2 pound bavette cut steak, frozen for 30-40 minutes
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- drizzle extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup kewpie mayonnaise
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
- splash of Worcestershire sauce
- Black pepper, To Taste
- Flaked sea salt, To Taste
- A small handful parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
- drizzle white truffle oil
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and rinsed
- Scallions, minced, green parts only or microgreens, for garnish
- Bread, of choice, toasted, to serve
Remove the steak from the freezer. Using sharp knife, slice fine strips, against the grain. Mince the strips, discarding excess fat. Continue to chop the steak until resembles ground beef. Place in a mixing bowl set over a bowl of ice, to keep steak cool.
Add the shallot, garlic and olive oil. Using a spatula, fold everything in with the meat until well mixed. Add mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire, several cracks of pepper and a healthy sprinkle of salt to taste. Fold to mix again, being careful not to over work the meat. Add parsley, lemon zest and juice, and truffle oil if using. Fold to mix. Season once more to taste.
Garnish with capers and scallions. Serve with toast of choice.