- 4 fillets cut into small portions tilapia
- 2 cubed potatoes
- 3 tablespoon vegetable or mustard oil
- 1 paste onion
- 1 tablespoon paste ginger
- 1 teaspoon paste garlic
- 2 small pureed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 inch cinnamon
- 2 pieces cardamom
- 4 cloves
- pinch asafetida
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon powder cumin
- 1 tablespoon powder coriander
- 2 teaspoon powder red chili
- 3 tablespoon powder turmeric
- 1 teaspoon powder garam masala
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fine chopped coriander leaves
- 2 fine chopped green chilies
Rub fish pieces with salt and turmeric. Keep overnight in the fridge or about 1 hour or so if you're running short on time.
Heat 3 tbsp oil and cook fish on both sides till golden. Keep aside.
Sauté cubed potatoes in the remaining oil till golden. Keep aside.
Sauté 1 tsp cumin seeds with bay leaf, a pinch of asafetida, whole cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, and cook a few seconds.
Add onion paste. Cook a couple of minutes. Add ginger and garlic paste. Cook for a min or so.
Add turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder and red chili powder. Cook for a minute or so.
Add tomato purée and cook for 4-5 mins till the oil floats.
Add in sautéed potatoes, salt and ½ cup water. Let it come to boil. Then lower the heat.
Add in fish pieces. Cover and cook 10 mins or so till done.
Add 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp sugar and 1 tbsp ghee. Garnish with chopped green chilies and finely chopped coriander.