- 3 tablespoons oil of choice
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper , minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons cayenne powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 14.5 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 6 cups water or vegetable stock
- 3 14.5 ounce cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 kale leaves, stems removed & torn
- 1 14.5 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt, taste and adjust
Heat oil in a heavy bottom skillet, add cumin seeds and bay leaf, sauté for 2 minutes or until they smell slightly toasted. Add onions, garlic and jalapeño and cook for about 2 minutes, or until slightly soft.
Add turmeric, cayenne, coriander, cumin and garam masala. Sauté for 3 minutes and then cover and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
Add tomatoes, mix everything and cook with the lid on for 8 minutes or until all the tomatoes have broken down.Add water or stock, chickpeas and green beans and bring to a simmer.
Add coconut milk and kale and cook until leaves have softened. Serve with steamed rice or toasted bread.