- 3 bananas, 2 over-ripe and 1 rip (cut in half lengthways)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/ 4 cup brown sugar
- 1/ 2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 1/ 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/ 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/ 2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/ 2 cup chopped walnuts
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 1/ 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/ 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/ 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/ 2 tablespoon brown sugar
Heat the oven at 350°F.
First, in a large mixing bowl, mash the over-ripened bananas. Then, using a spatula, fold in the melted butter, vanilla, sugar, and cinnamon. Add in the egg and mix until homogeneous.
In separate mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until well-mixed. Fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until just mixed. Then, fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
In a small mixing bowl, mix all topping ingredients. Set cinnamon sugar topping aside.
Pour batter into a greased baking pan and smooth with a spatula. Press the sliced ripe banana flat side up into the batter. Dust the top of the batter and bananas with the cinnamon sugar.
Bake for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 10-15 minutes. Using a butter knife, cut around the perimeter of the loaf to separate the bread from the pan. Turn the pan upside down onto a plate. Turn the loaf right-side up and slice.