When life gets crazy; I bake. There is something about digging through the pantry, precisely measuring ingredients and creating something sweet that soothes my soul. In these chaotic, slightly terrifying and trying times when you can’t be certain of too many things, one thing you can always be certain of is cake. Many of the traditional St. Patrick’s Day celebrations have been cancelled around the country this year, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make a celebratory feast at home. This cake is made with stout which lends a slightly bitter flavor that pairs beautifully with the rich dark chocolate. In terms of ease, this cake mixes up by hand with just a few mixing bowls to clean. To finish things off, the cake is topped with a simple Irish Cream glaze which brings a festively boozy punch to the party. Make it for yourself or even stash one in the freezer.
Chocolate Stout Cake
- 1 1/ 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/ 4 cup dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/ 2 cup cake flour
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 whole Handsome Brook Farm Organic Pasture-Raised eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/ 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup stout beer
- 1 cup La Tourangelle canola oil
- 3/ 4 cup full-fat sour cream
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 tablespoon Simply Organic pure vanilla extract
For the Cake
Preheat the oven 350˚F and butter one deep (at least 2 inches deep) 9-inch cake pan. Add parchment to the bottom of the pan and butter that as well.
In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, cake flour, baking powder, salt, espresso powder and baking soda then whisk to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, beer, canola oil, sour cream, melted chocolate and vanilla extract.
Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet, stirring until just combined.
Pour cake batter into prepared pan (batter will come almost all the way to the top) set on top of a rimmed baking sheet and bake until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 55-60 minutes.
Let cake cool in pan on a baking rack for about 15 minutes before removing from pan. Once cool pour prepared glaze on top and serve.
Irish Cream Glaze
- 1 1/ 2 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
- 1/ 4 cup Irish cream
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
For the Glaze
Add sifted sugar to a large bowl and drizzle Irish cream on top. Whisk until smooth, then add vanilla and salt and mix until combined.