For the cakes:
- 10 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/ 2 cup soft light brown sugar
- 3 large egga
- 1 1/ 2 cup self raising wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/ 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/ 2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 zest orange
- 1/ 2 cup packed sultanas or raisins
- 1 1/ 4 cup peeled and grated carrots
- 2/ 3 cup toasted and chopped pecans plus extra to decorate
Preheat the oven to 180C or 350F and grease and line the bases of 2 x 18 cm sandwich tins (or use mini pre lined mini loaf cases). Put the melted butter, sugar and eggs into a large mixing bowl and whisk well until the ingredients are thoroughly combined and the mixture has almost doubled in volume.
Sift together the flour, bicarb, salt and spices and then fold very gently into the liquid mixture, being careful to knock as little air out as possible. Fold in the remaining ingredients and divide between the tins/loaf cases. Bake for about 30 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool in the tins.
For the icing:
- 1 1/ 4 cup full fat cream cheese
- 1/ 4 cup soft light brown sugar
- 1/ 2 zest lemon, juiced and zested
To ice the cakes:
Meanwhile, beat together the icing ingredients and refrigerate. When the cakes are cool enough to ice, remove from the tins, top one with half the icing, and then the other cake. Ice the top, and decorate with the remaining pecans. Or, if like me you've used mini loaf cases then just ice the tops.