For the Gluten-Free Cornbread
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 1/ 2 cups medium grind cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 3/ 4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup corn kernels, from about 1 large ear fresh corn or frozen and thawed
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced chives or scallions, (optional)
- 2 jalapeño, thinly sliced into rounds
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce, (optional)
- Sliced chives or scallions,
Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Liberally grease a 9” cast iron skillet or a 9” x 13” baking dish with butter.
Toss chickpeas with olive oil, spices, and salt to taste, then spread evenly onto a baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, until fragrant and lightly golden. Add ketchup, mustard (if using), and drizzle with apple cider vinegar. Toss to coat, scraping up any spices off the bottom of the pan. Add 1 tablespoon water to loosen sauce. Set aside and keep warm.
Meanwhile, make the cornbread. Melt butter and honey in a medium pan and stir until well combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
Whisk sour cream, buttermilk, egg, and half the honey-butter mixture in a medium bowl until well combined.
Stir cornmeal, kosher salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Add sour cream mixture and stir until no dry patches remain, then stir in corn kernels, cheddar cheese and chives or scallions (if using). Pour batter into prepared pan and top with sliced jalapeño, if using. Bake for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Drizzle immediately with remaining honey-butter. Set aside to cool slightly.
Slice cornbread into 6 wedges and serve onto plates. Top with a few spoonfuls of BBQ chickpeas, a dollop with sour cream, and a dash of hot sauce. Sprinkle with scallions or chives.