I’ve been eating pasta almost every other night, so it’s been a true journey to switch up the preparations and keep things fresh. However, this quick version with caramelized onions, kale, and a glug of cream has been on repeat since it’s the most customizable and cozy weeknight meal out there. Whether you have rotini, farfalle, penne, egg noodles, or anything other shape, use it! Any route you take, you’ll be mesmerized by the sweetness of the caramelized onions that melt down into jammy perfection thanks to a pinch of baking soda. Finally, just throw in whatever greens you have on hand and a ton of grated Parmesan, and you’re set!
- 3 tablespoons La Tourangelle Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- Pinch of baking soda
- Kosher salt, to taste.
- black peppercorns, freshly cracked, to taste
- 12 ounces dried pasta, such as egg noodles, rotini, or farfalle
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1/ 4 cup heavy cream
- Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper, for garnishing (optional)
- thyme leaves, for garnishing (optional)
In a medium Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, baking soda, salt, and pepper, then cook, stirring often, until caramelized and jammy, 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until al dente, 5-7 minutes, then drain, reserving ½ cup pasta water.
Once the onions are caramelized, stir in the kale and cook until wilted, 2-3 minutes. Add the drained pasta and pasta water, grated Parmesan, and cream. Cook, stirring constantly, until incorporated, about 2 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Garnish with more grated Parmesan, crushed red pepper, and thyme leaves, if using, then serve.