"That ooey-gooey apple-cinnamony taste is like a warm hug in a bowl. With a few little changes from the original recipe, I’ve adapted it to be vegan and gluten-friendly if you do not have sensitivities to oats."
Vegan Apple Crisp
Prep time 20mins
Cook time 50mins
Serves or Makes: 10
- Apple Filling
- 8 Medium-sized apples (I used pink lady)
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 3/ 4 cup Brown sugar
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot starch or cornstarch (for thickening)
- 1/ 4 cup Water
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Crust Ingredients
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/ 2 cup almond meal (or ground almonds)
- 1/ 2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Brown sugar
- 1/ 2 cup Pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/ 4 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1/ 2 cup melted coconut oil
Preheat oven to 350F. Peel apples then slice into ½ to ¼ inch slices while removing the cores and put into a large mixing bowl.
Add the remaining apple filling ingredients. Toss to combine. Empty the contents into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
Rinse and wipe out your mixing bowl and mix in your crust ingredients. Pour evenly onto your apples.
Bake for 50 minutes in a regular oven or 40 minutes in a convection oven. The apples should be fork tender.
Let cool for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with your favorite vegan vanilla ice cream.