- 1 medium yellow onion very finely chopped, medium yellow onion very finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped),
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped mint,
- 1/ 2 pound ground veal or beef,
- 1/ 2 pound ground lamb,
- 1/ 2 teaspoon ground allspice,
- 1/ 2 teaspoon cayenne pepper,
- 1/ 2 teaspoon nutmeg,
- 3 tablespoon pomegranate molasses,
- Salt and pepper,
Chop the onion untill it is mushy. I don't use bread or an egg as a binder for the koftas so if the onion is too coarse, the ground meat may break up. ( if you have an onion chopper or small food blender that would help)
In a medium sized bowl, mix the chopped onions, garlic and ground meats until they are evenly distributed.
Add the spices and mix thoroughly.
With damp hands, divide the meat into 10 equal pieces and roll into long patties about 3 inch long and an inch thick ( they will shrink) .
n a slightly oiled non stick pan or skillet cook patties on a medium heat for 10 minutes.
During the last couple of minutes, brush patties with pomegranate syrup and continue cooking and turnining occasionally till glazed and rich brown in color.