"Alu methi or Aloo methi is a simple and tasty vegan Indian dish made with fenugreek leaves & potatoes. This easy gluten-free recipe is a must-try this winter."
Prep time 10mins
Cook time 15mins
Serves or Makes: 3
- 5 cups finely chopped fresh fenugreek leaves
- 2 medium sized potatoes, chopped imto medium sized pieces
- 1 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- Choice of 1/2 a lime
- 2 dry red chilies
- 1/ 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/ 4 teaspoons turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoons mustard oil
- 1/ 4 cups water
Heat oil in a wok. Break the red chilies into 2-3 pieces each and add to the oil. Saute for few seconds till they become fragrant and then add cumin seeds to it. Saute for another few seconds or till cumin seeds also become fragrant.
Add the grated ginger, saute for a few seconds and then add the potatoes, green chilies, salt, and all the spices.
Saute for a few seconds and add around 1/4 cup of water. Mix, cover the pan and cook till potatoes are cooked nicely.
Add the fenugreek leaves, mix everything and cook for another 5-6 minutes or till the leaves get wilted and most of the water released by them gets evaporated.
Squeeze in some lime juice and serve with roti/ paratha/ naan/ rice.