- 1/2 pounds Ground Sirloin
- 1/2 pounds Hot Italian Sausage
- 1/2 pounds Ground Veal
- 1/3 cups Chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cups peeled and minced garlic
- 2 lightly beaten large eggs
- 1/4 cups parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cups italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cups fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper
- 1/2 cups olive oil
In the dutch oven, over medium heat add 2 tbsp of olive oil and sautee onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add all the meatball ingredients (minus the 1/2 cup olive oil). Using your hands mix the meatballs until ingredients are all combined. Form balls with your hands (I usually form mine into 1 1/2in balls) and place aside.
Heat 1/2 cup olive oil in dutch oven on med/high heat. Add the meatballs and pan sear 2 sides for about 1 minute on each side. I did it in two batches. Set aside on a pan and start the sauce once all the meatballs have been pan seared.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 anchovy filets
- 1/4 cups Chopped yellow onion
- 1 grated carrot
- 6 grated garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoons sugar
- 56 ounces whole peeled san marzano tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil leaves
Sauce & End of Meatball Directions
Leaving the oil in the dutch oven, add the anchovies. Once they are dissolved, add the onions and sautee until they begin to soften about 3-4 minutes. Then add the grated garlic and carrots to the sauce, let cook another minute. Open 2 cans of san marzano tomatoes and add to the sauce. Mix in the sugar, red pepper flakes, oregano, and fresh ground black pepper.
Using your cooking utensil break up the tomatoes in the sauce and bring to a boil. Once it begins to bubble lower the heat to simmer. Now is the time if you do not want a chunky sauce to use the immersion blender. Then add the fresh basil, stir the sauce, and add the meatballs.
Let the sauce and meatballs simmer for 30 minutes. The meatballs should reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
Top with additional parmesan cheese, basil, and red pepper flakes. Serve alone, over pasta, as a meatball sub, or with garlic bread.