- 1 pound casings removed Hot Italian Sausage
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup cooked according to package directions white rice
- 14 ounces can Fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/ 2 chopped yellow onion
- 4 cleaned, stems and seeds removed bell peppers
- 1/ 2 cup chicken broth
- 1/ 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/ 2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/ 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/ 2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/ 2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon reduced sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1/ 4 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
- Handful roughly chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Cook rice according to package instructions, do not overcook, better to be a tad al dente because you’ll be putting into the oven.
In a large sauté pan over medium high heat, add 2 tbsp olive oil and the hot Italian sausage. Cook the sausage, breaking it up into smaller pieces as you go, until fully cooked through. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage, place in a bowl, and set aside. Leave juices in the pan.
Lower the heat to medium and add in the onions. Sauté for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the minced garlic and cook an additional minute. Add in the fire roasted tomatoes, the Worcestershire sauce, and the herbs/spices: basil, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes. Stir to combine. Add the sausage back in, the cooked rice, and the chicken broth. Stir to combine and allow the flavors to meld for 5 minutes while you prepare the peppers.
You can cut the peppers either horizontally or just cut a whole in the top and stuff them vertically. Either way you want to remove the stem, the seeds, and the white flesh from the inside using a pairing knife. Place the peppers in a baking dish, if they are having trouble standing shave a flat spot on the back of them with a pairing knife.
Using a spoon, stuff the peppers with the sausage mixture, top with cheese, and cover with foil. Place in the oven for 30 minutes (peppers should be fork tender). Remove the foil and low broil the cheese for 5 minutes or until lightly browned/melted. Remove from the oven and serve with fresh parsley on top.