- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/ 2 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced longways
- 1/ 3 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/ 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/ 2 teaspoon dark chili powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/ 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/ 2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/ 4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/ 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 (14 ounce can) crushed tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 1/ 4 cup crumbled feta
- 1/ 4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- bread of choice, (optional), for serving
Preheat oven to 375˚F. In a cast iron skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, chopped onions, and red bell pepper. Sauté for 20 minutes until peppers soften.
Add the spices: dark chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, black pepper. Add the sliced garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes until garlic is fragrant. Add the crushed tomatoes and lower the heat to simmer. Stir and allow sauce to simmer for 10 minutes.
Create 4 small wells in the tomato sauce and crack the eggs into the wells. Place skillet into the oven and bake the eggs for 8-10 minutes until the eggs are cooked to your liking (they will continue to cook when you remove from the oven so don’t overcook).
Remove from the oven and top with crumbled cheese and herb garnish of parsley or cilantro. Serve with toasted bread or pita to scoop up all the delicious sauces.