- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 ounces carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 zucchini, sliced 1-inch thick
- 1 cup mushrooms, quartered
- 1 (20 ounce) can jackfruit, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 21/2 cups kombu dashi
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- Salt, To Taste
Heat oil in a pan over medium low heat. When hot, add in flour and stir constantly until it turns a darkish brown, about 15-20 minutes.
Once brown, add in curry powder and mix briefly, about 30 seconds. Take off from the heat and set aside the roux.
Add garlic, ginger, onions, carrots, and celery to a large pot with oil or a splash of water. Cook until onions turn translucent.
Add water/dashi, jackfruit, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, sugar, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil then lower and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add zucchini and mushrooms and continue to cook until tender. Add more salt as needed. Serve hot with rice and enjoy!