- 2 pounds green prawns in their shell with head intact
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves with stalks
- 1 bunch spring onion, whole stalks
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon sichuan peppercorns
- 4 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 1 2 inch knob ginger, roughly chopped
- 1/ 2 lime
- 8 cups water
- Salt to taste
Toppings and Noodles
- 2/ 3 pound wheat noodles, or any rice noodle of choice. Cook according to package
- fresh coriander
- 1 red chili thinly sliced
- Spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, quartered
Peel and de-vein your prawns saving the prawn heads for the broth.
In a large pot on a medium - high heat combine all ingredients for the broth, excluding the water, and stir occasionally for several minutes. Push down on the prawn heads to release all of their flavour.
Add the water to the pot and bring to the boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down, pop the lid on and simmer for 1 hour.
When your broth is ready strain it through a mesh strainer and then place back into a clean pot. Bring to the boil and throw in your prawns and cook for 3 - 4 minutes.
In a separate medium sized pot, bring heavily salted water to the boil and throw in your noodles. They should cook within 5 minutes however, refer to the noodle packet for cooking instructions.
Strain your noodles and divide evenly into individual soup bowls. Pour your your broth over the noodles and add in your prawns and toppings. Serve immediately.