- 2 3/ 4 cups cake flour or all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 3/ 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/ 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/ 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse Kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- 14 ounces full-fat unsweetened coconut milk (1 can)
- 3/ 4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
Buttercream and Filling
- 1 1/ 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder (optional)
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/ 8 teaspoon coarse Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons milk or cream, if needed
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 12 ounces almond pastry filling
- 1/ 4 cup sliced almonds, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350. Grease three 8-inch cake pans with non-stick spray. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs, coconut milk, oil, poppy seeds and almond extract and whisk vigorously for about two minutes.
Divide the batter between the pans and bake for about 22-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Set the pans on a wire rack, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and cool completely.
Buttercream, Filling and Assembly
In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the butter until smooth. With the mixer on low, add the powdered sugar and meringue powder and mix to combine. Add the milk, extracts and salt, and increase the speed to medium high; whip for 4-5 minutes until very light and fluffy. Stir in the poppy seeds.
Stack the cake layers, filling with a thin layer of almond pastry filling in between each. Almond pastry filling is very sweet, so you don't need to use the whole can if you don't need to. After stacking and filling the cakes, frost all over with the buttercream. Garnish with sliced toasted almonds.