- 3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can Navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup butternut squash, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 cups swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups shell pasta
- Kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
In a large slow cooker (6 to 7 quart capacity), combine broth, tomatoes, beans, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, sage and bay leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
Thirty minutes before the soup is done cooking, add zucchini and chard. Cover and cook 30 more minutes.
Remove bay leaves and thyme stalks; season to taste with salt and black pepper. If using, stir in pasta, cover and allow to heat through – about 5 minutes. Serve garnished with fresh sage and a light drizzle of olive oil.