These chocolate orange cinnamon rolls are fluffy pillows of heaven topped with delicious vanilla cream cheese frosting
For the Dough
- 3/ 4 cup plus 3 tablespoons milk
- 2/ 3 cup granulated brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 3 3/ 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/ 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/ 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 1/ 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
For the Filling
- 1 cup granulated brown sugar
- 1 orange, zested
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 3/ 4 cups plus 2 tablespoons chocolate spread
For the Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 3/ 4 cups plus 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- 1/ 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1/ 2 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
To Make the Dough
In a small pot add warm milk, 1/3 cup sugar and yeast. Stir to combine then set aside for 10 minutes until it becomes foamy on top.
In a medium bowl beat together the egg with remaining sugar until pale and fluffy. Add foamy milk/yeast mixture.
In a separate bowl whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. Add to egg mixture and mix on low. When dough starts to form, add butter 1 cube at a time. Mix for 5 minutes on medium until fully incorporated.
Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for a few minutes. Put in a lightly greased large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise in a warm place for about 2 hours, until doubled.
To Make the Filling and Assemble
Line an 8 x 12-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside. In a small bowl add sugar, orange zest and cinnamon. Rub the zest into the sugar to bring out more flavor.
Once dough is doubled, roll into a rectangle on a lightly floured work surface. Spread chocolate spread over the dough. Sprinkle with orange cinnamon sugar. Starting with one long side, roll the dough tightly into a log.
Cut into 12 equal slices with a serrated knife. Place rolls cut-side up in the prepared pan. Cover with a clean towel. Leave in warm spot to rise for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden.
To Make the Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Spread over buns while still warm.